Holiday Safety Tips
With the holiday season fast approaching, here are some tips to keep you safe:
Away for the holidays?
- If you are going to be on vacation over the holidays, remember to always give your home a lived-in look
- Ask a neighbour to pick up your newspapers and flyers when you are away
- Clear the snow from your driveway before you go out
- Use and adjust your light timers
- Do not disclose the dates and whereabouts of your trip through social media sites (i.e. twitter, facebook)
Warming up your car?
- Never leave your vehicle unlocked or unattended on your driveway as you are warming up the motor or making quick errands
- Park your vehicle in the garage
- Store parcels in the trunk of your car and out of sight to prevent break-ins
- Avoid overwhelming yourself with shopping bags, parcels and purchased goods. Make additional trips instead
- Do not rummage for your keys as you head to the car
- Cover your pin number when making credit card/debit card purchases
- Avoid purchasing handmade items at a questionable price
- Be careful of goods that do not indicate where they are made
- Record the serial numbers of all purchased electronic items to helps recover the item if it gets lost or stolen
- For garbage pick-up, break down cartons that contained electronic equipment or other valuable merchandise so that the product information is not visible to the outside
Remember to stay alert and stay safe.
Safe City Mississauga wishes you a wonderful holiday season!