Safe City Mississauga has experienced firsthand how crisis can lead to innovation. We’ve used this unprecedented time to look at our organization through a transformative lens to leverage the new connection points that have resulted from the current unfolding crisis.
As part of our efforts to cultivate new initiatives that engage our community and support our work in improving community safety and wellbeing through crime prevention, we’ve created the I3 awards. Safe City Mississauga’s I3 awards sponsored by Bell will recognize and support ideas, initiatives and inventions (I3) that can be implemented to make a city safer from crime.
The awards are open to individuals and groups, and winners will receive support from Safe City Mississauga by way of key resource connection and promotion. Winners will also receive mentorship from our network of crime prevention experts to gain valuable insight on how to shift from ideation to execution.
The primary objectives of the 2021 I3 Awards are to…
- Support evidence-based models and promising practices which address community safety and crime prevention
- Support the dissemination of knowledge and the development of tools and resources related to effective community crime prevention
- Encourage innovation in the form of ideas, initiatives and inventions that promote the development of safe communities
There are three categories within the I3 framework that you can submit for based on the stage your project is at. The categories are:
- Ideas – Beginner/seed level ideas.
- Innovations – This category is for ideas that already come backed with solid research but have not yet been tested.
- Inventions – These are innovations that have been researched, tested and evaluated as effective.
Submissions will be evaluated based on the following criteria:
- Relevance to crime prevention
- Submit your proposal under the correct category (Idea, Innovation or Invention) using the form below.
- Submissions will be reviewed by our expert panel of implementers who will select three finalists in each category.
- Finalists will be announced on Safe City Mississauga’s website where the public will have the opportunity to vote for the winner in each category.
- Winners will be invited to a virtual awards ceremony that will be taking place in June.
The deadline for submissions is May 3rd, 2021.
What will the winners get?
- Winners and their projects will be showcased on Safe City Mississauga’s website and social media platforms to support their search for funders, testers and evaluators interested in their project.
- A private one-time mentorship session facilitated by two of our esteemed board members.
- A private grant writing lesson by our Executive Director.
- If applicable, winners will be connected to supporters for testing and acquiring funding/sponsorship.
For more information, please contact us at email@example.com